We would like to provide you a brief update on the Special General Assembly held on May 19, 2013. The Millennium Building Committee and Capital Campaign Committee presented their recommendations regarding the building plan, financial plan and proposed schedule for the our new Church facility. Over 130 members of the Community were in attendance at this very important meeting. The Building Committee discussed the multiple Church and Family Life Center floor plans that were considered, along with the associated costs. Based on the buying power of the Community and their extensive evaluation, the recommended building plan was a cruciform Church with a Chapel and Bell Tower, along with a modular Family Life Center. The estimated total cost of this building plan is approximately $7 million.
The Capital Campaign Committee presented the funding sources and financial plan that would support the construction and operation of the recommended new Church facility. The financial targets for the capital campaign, annual stewardship, annual fundraisers (including a Greek Festival and Golf Tournament) were presented. The requirement to demonstrate a net positive cash flow at the end of each year in order to qualify and secure a loan for construction was also discussed. A schedule was presented which was based on a conservative approach of assessing the status of our financials and our ability to meet targets as time progresses and key decisions are made. The schedule included milestones, financial targets and decisions by the Community for the May 19, 2013 Special General Assembly, along with future Special General Assembly decisions in 2015 (decision to proceed with detailed design work) and 2016 (decision to proceed with securing loan and construction).
The recommendation and motion from the Millennium Building Committee and Capital Campaign Committee to the Community included:
- Approval of Building Committee recommendation of Church and Family Life Center Building Plan
- Approval of financial plan and funding scenario
- Approval of proposed building schedule
- Approval to launch annual Greek Festival
- Approval of allocating $555,000 for permitting/wetlands mitigation, clearing/ stabilizing property and installation of minimal utilities
- Approval of $155,000 authorize our architect, Steve Papadatos, to proceed with design work.
The motion was amended to include an additional item that under the leadership of Father Milton Magos, the Capital Campaign Committee will initiate an effort to raise an additional $1 million to reduce or Lord willing eliminate the need to secure a loan for the construction of our new Church facility. Valuable discussion and input from the Community followed.
- We are pleased to announce that the St. John the Divine Community unanimously voted to approve this motion to proceed with this initial step on our journey closer to realizing our vision of building our new spiritual home on our beautiful 20-acre property on Beach Boulevard. With God’s blessings, this is the first of several future decisions that will be made by our Community to ensure a conservative and financially responsible approach as we move forward.
We need everyone, each according to their ability and capacity, to make a financial commitment. To obtain a pledge card contact either the Church Office, Athena Mann at [email protected] or (904) 563-1786, Steve Bacalis [email protected] or (904) 703-1227, Father Nicholas, or Father Milton.